I like to pan toast and grind nuts and seeds to use as sprinkles. I only grind the nuts and seeds completely if I am feeding a young child, otherwise, it can be nice to leave a little texture. Skip the blanching step if you like a firmer texture and fresher taste.
Green Beans with Pumpkin Seeds
- 3 cups fresh green beans cut in 2″ pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp or more pan toasted and ground pumpkin seeds
1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil on medium heat. Blanch green beans in water and scoop them out as soon as they turn bright. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan heat the oil on medium heat. Add the green beans when the oil is just hot enough that the green beans sizzle a little. Saute for a few minutes stirring frequently. Add 1 Tbsp water and cover. Cook for a few minutes more or until the green beans are at desirable tenderness. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in the lemon juice and pumpkin seeds, adding more if desired.
This is a recipe that is conducive to endless variations. Try broccoli with almonds, zucchini with hazelnuts, and kale with walnuts. Skip the blanching step if using zucchini.