I finally got this recipe just the way I like it! These crispy treats are easy to make and yummy. Children love them and they are a great alternative to a lot of the sweet treats out there in the big world. I am giving you a basic recipe, but like always, feel free to spice these up a bit.
I like Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice cereal because it is certified gluten-free and sweetened with brown rice syrup. If you need gluten-free make sure you read the label, because they do have another version that is sweetened with barley malt. Vary the amount of cereal to get them the perfect texture for you. Less cereal will make them softer, more makes them a little drier.
I lightly toasted and ground my own walnuts to make walnut butter. It was really easy to do in my small food processor and the flavor is wonderful!
Crispy Rice Treat Recipe
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup walnut butter (ground freshly toasted walnuts)
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups crispy rice cereal (Erewhon preferred)
1. In a large saucepan heat the brown rice syrup, walnut butter, and sea salt on low heat. Stir frequently and cook until it starts bubbling moderately.
2. Remove from heat and quickly stir in vanilla and then crispy rice. Stir well.
3. Pour into a glass 8″ square dish. Oil hands and then press the mixture flat into the dish. Let cool.
4. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Fun additions: currants, raisins, dried cranberries, chopped pecans, sunflower or sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, small pieces of nori, chocolate chips, cinnamon, dried apple