I just started cooking again for two 16 year old teenagers, a boy and a girl, and their family. One of the first requests that came in from the girl was for potato leek soup. These children aren’t vegan. I had a feeling that my idea of potato leek soup might be a little different from hers. The conversation went like this: Me-“What kind of potato leek soup do you like?” Her-“Oh. All kinds.” That didn’t give me much to work with. So, this soup was born.
Please keep in mind that I was trying my best to create a soup she would like and was cutting corners due to time constraints. I actually
never rarely buy soup broth. I used Imagine’s organic no-chicken broth in the aseptic container. If you make your own, which is preferable, I would leave out anything with a strong flavor that would compete with the potato leek flavor.
She loved the soup. So did her mom. I haven’t talked with her brother, yet.
Potato Leek Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
2 large leeks, white and light green parts sliced thin
1 tsp dried thyme (or 1 Tbsp fresh)
1/2 tsp sea salt (adjust according to the amount of salt in the broth)
3# yukon gold potatoes, eyes cut out and cut into chunks
4 cups tomato-free vegan broth, homemade or store-bought
a few grinds of fresh black pepper
unsweetened oat milk (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté for 10 minutes. Cook them for longer if you want them to caramelize.
2. Stir in the whole garlic, leeks, thyme and sea salt. Sauté for about five minutes.
3. Add the potatoes. Stir and sauté for a few minutes.
4. Add two cups water and broth up to an inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
5. Puree using an immersion blender. Add more broth, water and/or oat milk (if using) until you achieve the desired consistency. If you need to add more sea salt, add it to the soup and gently cook for 10 more minutes. Add black pepper to taste or pass around the table.